Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

duplicate email received in outlook 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

printer

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
GB
I have a couple of users who are receiving duplicate e mails when they dial up to a pop server account. They are using outlook 97 on windows98 Any solutions?

Hi, Printer

I assume these are truly duplicates and not just repeats from the sender.

Usually this means the pop server mailbox is not being cleared and so the next time they connect they get the same old messages again. Most servers only delete received messages at normal end of session (i.e. they receive a QUIT). You say these users are dialup - it may be there is a large message in their mailbox which is causing a timeout on receipt. Also sometimes there may be bad characters in a message which cause the connection to hang/abort. In that case it may be necessary to contact the administrator for the mail server to get the mailbox cleared.

If you can telnet into their mailbox then you can LIST all the messages on file which will give the sizes which may be indicative. Then you can manually DEL the dupes and the first one after the last duplicating message, which is likely the one causing the problem.

Brgds
Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back