Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate dll in project references

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 1999
GB
I developed a project with a dll to do the data lookup.

Later I wanted to use the same dll in a different project, so I decided to move the dll into a general library folder.

Unfortunately, this has left me with multiple entries for it when I open the project references.

I have tried regsvr32 -u xxx.dll but this just deletes the version in the library, not the original development version. I even tried moving it back to the old location, but this gave me 2 entries at that location, it did not overwrite the unwanted instance.

Is there any way to get rid of my unwanted entries?

Try having a look at the actual file that's being referenced. It wouldn't surprise me if the development one is referencing your .vbp file. This is as it should be; you can either reference the uncompiled version when you're trying to step through it, or the compiled version when you're not.

If you find that both of them are dll's, you will want to go into regedit and look in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for the two of them. Come to think of it, so will I--I've never run into anything like that before. :)

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

They are both .dll's (and there is a .vbp as well).

I don't know in detail how the structure of the registry works but looking in regedit I find entries in HKCR:
2 entries under
TypeLib
{...class...}

2 entries under
Wow6432Node
CLSID
{...class...} NB different ids to above

2 entries under
Wow6432Node
TypeLib
{...class...} Same ids as first set

Also another 8 entries in HKLM

Any ideas?

Focus on HKCR. Find your class; you'll find it under myProjectName.MyClassName (your "ProgId"). Open the folder, open the CLSID folder. Keep the clsid (a guid) up on the screen on the right. Now go to the CLSID folder. Browse through there until you find the matching clsid. Open that folder. Open the InProcSvr32 folder. You'll see a fully-qualified pathname for your dll.

If you find two InProcSvr32 entries for that progid, that will be interesting.

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

I've had a look through HKCR

Found myProjectName ok, but there is nothing for my clsid in CLSID, but there is in Wow6432Node\CLSID & the InProcSvr32 folder had the correct path (and only one entry!).

I will investigate some of the other entries for my clsids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back