Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duplicate Content Penalty 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamedTech

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
GB
Evening Guys,

I've been reading into SEO alot recently whilst re-developing the company website, and have a quick question about duplicate content.

I've heard that search engines issue penalty and may even black list sites for duplicate content and things like that, which seems like a fair enough rule to me.

I have several domains, they all point to the exact same site, how does this fair when working with duplicate content, and also whats the best practice for building sitemaps which are domain specific.

For instance, i have the following domains.

companynamemarketing.com
companynamemarketing.co.uk
companynamemarketing.net
companynamemedia.com
companynamemedia.co.uk
companynamemedia.net
yourcompanyname.com
yourcompanyname.mobi

How would that work? with them all pointing to the exact same site through a single IP, i'm worried that it'll flag as duplicate content.

Also, i'd like a little help with building a site map for this, should i just build for a single domain? or should i have a sitemap for each domain?

Thanks guys,

Rob

The OFFICIAL word from Google on duplicate content

Posted this at Webmaster-Talk

However you should pick one hostname you want to be visible in the SERPs and 301 redirect the others to it, otherwise you will end up with the situation of the SEs deciding which is the primary domain name.

And you can pretty much guarentee it won't be the one you would have prefered :)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks Chris,

Thats some excelent advice, I'll be sure to go through thier best practices, 304 redirects and things.

Thanks again Chris,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back