Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DUN and Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdak67

MIS
Mar 11, 2001
US
Got a tough one here....
I support an application that uses dial up networking. We have a multi-user version of the application.
Here's what happens: when the application is configured to use netbios on the internal network, and one of the workstations connects to a ras server (process to transmit data to a 3rd party) it loses connectivity with the application's sql database (located on the internal networks server).
Notice I specified that the application is using netbios. Dial-up networking is configured to use tcp/ip ONLY.
The plot thickens: If we configure the application to use tcp/ip on the internal network, this doesn't happen.
And if we continue to use netbios, and modify the routing table as if it was using tcp/ip, it works as well.
This flies in the face of everything I though I understood about netbios/netbeui.
Any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back