Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dumpevt.exe for dumping NT Event logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlaksh

Programmer
Feb 25, 2001
US
Hello,

I have downloaded the dumpevt.exe version V1.7.3. I use this
utility to collect event log information from my NT servers. Now I had a technical question regarding this.

The outfile is a .txt file. These are my INI file parameters:

; DateFormat=MM/dd/yy
Format=no
MaxMessageLen=32000
ReplaceCR=^
ReplaceLF=`
FieldSeparator=,
ReplaceFieldSeparator=
; MaxFragmentLen=255
; StringSeparator=;
; DumpData=hex
; DumpRecnum=yes
SplitDateTime=yes

The problem is with dumping of the description column from
the event log.

For example when the description in the eventviewer for
eventid 5715 is

The partial synchronization replication of the LSA database from the primary domain controller \\MOSCOW completed successfully. 2 change(s) is(are)applied to the database.

the dumpevt utility dumps only:

LSA;\\MOSCOW;2

Can anyone please tell me why this could be happenning?? This is very important because my entire further coding is based on this.

Thank you in advance.

Lakshmi.

Event veiwer allows you to save event files as either .evt, .csv ot .txt so why dont you just save the log file as .txt file from event veiwer itself? you can also do it remoteley by specifying the servers NetBOIS name oth the server you wish to veiw. sorry, Im no programmer so I dont know if this has to be automated for some specific purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back