Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dumpadm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
US
In the process of a drive failing and getting replaced, it seems I have lost my dump device

# dumpadm
Dump content: kernel pages
Dump device: none (dumps disabled)
Savecore directory: /var/crash/p0690b02
Savecore enabled: yes

In /etc/vfstab, I have an entry for a swap volume...

/dev/vx/dsk/swapvol - - swap - no -

When I try to run

# dumpadm -d /dev/vs/dsk/swapvol

I get

dumpadm: cannot use /dev/vs/dsk/swapvol as dump device: No such file or directory

when I try to run

# dumpadm -d swap

I get

dumpadm: no swap devices could be configured as the dump device

How do I get my dump device back?

Thanks, in advance!

Do you have any swap configured (swap -l to see). If not, you could try adding some.

when a system crashes and boots after that the kernel hasn't loaded the drivers for running Veritas Volume Manager or Solaris Volume Manager (aka SDS) "virtual Disks", it can not save the dump written to the Virtual Disk (a Mirror I guess); If you want to save a crash (which is done by the OBP then) you need a physical adress disk (eg /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0) not avirtual disk (eg. /dev/vx/dsk/swapvol)

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi,
dumpadm run at boot time (if there is need to collect crash info). It means dumpadm needs physical disk partition.
If you use veritas, only first root disk has physical swap partition. The other swap volumes does not have physical swap partition. They use Veritas volumes.

I think you changed the first root disk in the system.Than you mirrored first root disk from the second root disk.
Unfortunately second root disk does not have physical swap partition. When you use second root disk to mirror first root disk, than you do not have physical swap partition on first root disk.

I know it is a little bit confused. This What I know about this problem. I have no information about how to solve this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back