Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dump database to html files using ASP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dflanagan

MIS
Oct 5, 2001
US
Hello,
The one downfall I have seen with using a database driven ASP site is that it cannot be crawled by the search engine bots, and therefore forces you to PAY for advertising....

I would like to get around that by writing a script that will create HTML versions of my ASP outputs as it looks when a user searches for a product.

Basically I am talking about a script that will loop through my database and for each unigue part number, I would like it to create a new page "partnumber.html" and save it in a certain folder.

I can do the looping and all of that, but what is the function that will give me the HTML, and the ability to save it to disk? Would it be XMLHTTP and FSO? If so, how about a sample??

Thanks!

Dave

dflanagan said:
The one downfall I have seen with using a database driven ASP site is that it cannot be crawled by the search engine bots, and therefore forces you to PAY for advertising....

You might want to check that assumption - the SEO forum (forum828) will help you understand this further.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

All,
i have resolved the issue brought up on this thread through another thread title xmlhttp

Now I am looking into this SEO thread you showed me... My understanding was that Yahoo, google, and MSN (the big ones) do not crawl database sites, and in fact ignore all urls that contain question marks.

I guess this is a post better meant for that forum though

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back