Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dummy printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrumd

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
I posted this question in the General Visual Basic forum and nobody appears to know or care. Can anyone here help me?

I am using an old DOS program under Windows 98 and Windows ME. This program "prints" some information to a printer or to the screen but only if it finds a "ready" printer connected to LPT1. I need to "print" information to the screen when I am away from my printer (ie during a trip, or on a plane). How can I "trick" this program to believe there is a printer connected. Hint: if I connect to a printer on my network mapped to lpt1, I can "print" to the screen without problems. If I then disconnect my RJ-45 cable I can still "print" because the program "thinks" the printer is still available. Can I run a little app to embed some 1's or 0's somewhere?
Thanks
Luis [atom]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back