Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dumb RAID arrangement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytehd

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
US
I just inherited a server with a Compaq Raid server 641 card. Three 15kRPM SCSI drives, combined into 1 logical drive, then split back into 3 OS paritions.

Dumb?

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

If the 3 drives are configured as a RAID 5, then the system is configured properly. Dividing a hardware-defined logical drive into seperate OS partitions is perfectly OK.

Oh, sorry I should have elaborated. If the system is NOT a RAID 5 but rather just a logical drive spanned across 3 disks without parity, you are 1 dead drive away from losing it all. You should be able to go into the SCSI adapter setup and look at the array, or you can use the Array Configuration Utility on the SmartStart disk.

If they are JBOD, then I wouldn't use that server to store anything important.Better to back up, rebuild correctly, and restore.

yeah, I confirmed that its three drives setup straight through as 3 DISKS to the OS. Knucklehead before me...

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Maybe it's just me, but I dont like baggage. I don't care what config it was in when I got it, I would wipe it and start fresh. Then if it's done wrong, I can only blame myself.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back