Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dumb Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieLoMain

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
If I take wink2k pro and log off (not shut down) should I be surprissed to hear the hard drive sporatically grinding away for extended periods of time at all hours of the day or night?

Thanx in advance.

I'd be surprised. Either someone is accessing something on your computer or your hard drive may possibly be dying. Need more details. Is this a home or a work computer? Is its connection constant or are you using a modem?

The fact that you are logged off does not mean your computer cannot be accessed. If your connection is constant, try unplugging your network cable and see if there is a difference. (Of course, you'll have to remember to plug it back in before logging back on.)

To answer your questions:

This is a home system with Win2k pro with a static DSL connection which is made via a Linksys VPN router

I have SP3 installed

I will try what you have suggested and report back just the same.

Thanx

In response to the suggestions and questions I submit the following.

Early this morning I walked past the machine and sure enuff the HD was crunching away.

So I pulled the plug on the router and the DSL modem and headed for the shower.

15 min later it was still grinding away.

index service is NOT running.

Any additional ideas??

Wouldn't hurt to check out your hard drive to see if it's healthy. Check your free space and then, if it looks Ok, run a chkdsk on your C drive. Open up Properties on your C drive, select the Tools tab, and click Check Now. Click the two checkboxes for "Automatically fix errors" and "Scan for bad sectors". When you click OK, you'll probably get a message saying chkdsk can't gain exclusive access to the drive, do you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Click Yes and reboot. After it comes back up, defrag the drive. Finally, run a diagnostics program on your drive. You should be able to download a program either from the manufacturer of your computer or the manufacturer of your hard drive.

BTW, I assume you have scanned for viruses & trojans.

WillieLoMain,

I had a user that had her HD working every second on the second, all day. You could have timed it by a watch. I ran chkdsk than ran a diagnostic test. There were no errors on the diag test but when I rebooted the machine the HD stopped grinding. Don't know if this was how yours was working but if it is than there you go!

One other thing -- if you reboot your machine and don't log on (just leave it at the login prompt), do you get the same activity? Or is it only after you login and logoff that you get all the disk activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back