Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dumb A&% User Choked Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmills

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2004
US
A user sent an 11mb e-mail to 500 recipients today. Needless to say, it has choked our server and bandwidth. Here lies the problem. I am unable to delete the messages from the queue in System Manager. If I try to delete them through Explorer, I get an error saying that the file is in use. I have stopped all Exchange services and used explorer to delete them from the queue. There are usually 20 or so eml files to delete. But as soon as I restart the services the queue receives more of the same message. To futher complicate the issue, the mdbdata drive is filling up with transaction logs. Close to being out of disk space. Any recommedations on killing this e-mail?

Thanks

Stay away from Explorer in Exchange, you are going to create bigger problems then you have now!
Stop the SMTP service and use the system manager like you did.
If need be, pull out the network cable to have it stall and fail on sending, you can the enumerate and delete (with SMTP service running of course)

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back