Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duel display in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendanhedges

Technical User
Mar 3, 2001
GB
Can anybody please let me know if I am right in thinking W98v2 can support duel monitiors.
If so can you tell me the best way to accumplish this.

thanks, brendan
brendan@clara.net

It's pretty straightforward - depends on how you want to do this.

I got it working by putting a PCI graphics card into a machine with an onboard graphics controller.

I then plugged a monitor onto each card, and Windows 98 found both cards and monitors.

When you check the display properties, both monitors appear and can be positionally configured by moving the images around.

There is also a drop-down box where each graphics card can be configured.

If you mean putting two monitors onto one card, you should be able to do this using, say, a Matrox Dualhead and a splitter cable.

Hope this helps

With certain cards, such as some Asus geforce 2 MX's, you can also use a splitter cable to display 2 identical images. Also, you can do "expanded destktops" using a splitter cable and monitor to have a 2-monitor wide desktop. "I didn't do it"

I have put this on the 'back burner' for now.

I have a 32mb ati rage pro and a ati 8mb all in wonder.

I installed both and got them to work, but there where a lot of stability issues.

It seemed that no matter what card was primary or secondary, or what drivers where installed first or second there where always issues.

I think the main reason for this was that both cards where ati, therefore the drivers for them may have been very similar and windows didn't like it.

I need to start again from scratch but using two card from different manufactures. At least this should rule out driver incomatability issues.

I may just by a duel display card from ati or matriox and be done with the aggro. But that wouldn't be as much fun would it.

brendan

My setup is an S3Virge onboard graphics chipset, and an ATI RAGE. I think your theory is correct, that two different cards from the same manufacturer may cause issues - but I haven't tested it.

Rather than go dualhead (expensive), why not get a cheep card and play with that setup first? I agree - getting awkward things to work can be extremely satisfying.

Windows ME was a breeze with the 2 cards I tried - then I tried installing Red Hat Linux on the same machine. Now that was a challenge!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back