Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duel booting win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepthought42

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
GB
Yes I have searched the faq's before u ask!

I would like to know if it is possible to duel boot with the hard drive set-up I have??

Hard drive is 40GB partitioned as one primary partition of 3GB containing Win ME.

An extended patition of 37GB consisting of 6 logical drives.

One of the LOGICAL drives is empty and I want to know if Win2K could be installed on it????

Any help greatly appreciated
D

I believe it probably can ( - though I wouldn't! (I never install o/s on extended partitions as I've seen them 'disappear' too often when something happens on the primary). What's on the logical drives? You could try it - if win2k install process lets you select the logical drive space to install 2k to, probably ok - you'll get dual-boot ME/2k - remember boot files will be on the ME primary partition. Personally, unless you have lots of the 37GB filled up with data, I'd look at reorganising filestore so you have 2 primary partitions at start of drive (2nd for 2k) - then extended.

I believe you should have no problems dual-booting WinME on C: and Win2000 [or even WinXP] on D: [or whichever] partition. I do it with 2 notebooks, 98/2000 on one and 98/XP HE on the other, 20GB drives split 50% and 50% [used percent for a reason].

Fdisk will allow 1 primary partition, then a Logical partition with Extended partition/s in the Logical. Your 3GB is the primary and the 37GB is the Logical [no drive letter assigned yet] and the other 6 partitions are the Extended which get drive letters.

Win9x/ME has to be on the boot/system drive/partition [C:] and the latest OS goes on last, creating the boot menu in the process. You could format the Win2000 partition as NTFS but Win9x/ME can't work with NTFS. Win2000/XP can work with FAT32.

It is true that if C: drive becomes unusable, so can all the partitions. After all, they are on the same physical drive.

I'd go along with simplifying the drive, reduce the number of partitions.

Thanks Wolluf and Berton for your responses, with regard to what you both have said I think I will re-organise the hard drive and then install.

Thanks again

Regards D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back