Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dualboot with linux 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
I´ve tried dualbooting win2k pro with Red Hat 7... This is what I´ve done.

installed win2k. saved space for linux on the "end" of the disc.
Installed Red Hat with LILO on hda5. (lilo is on hda5 as well)
used a boot-diskette to enter linux.
i ran the commands...

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin bs=512 count=1

I rebooted into win2k and edited the boot.ini with this...

c:\linux.bin="Red Hat 7.0"

When I try starting Red hat from win2k:s bootmanagar the screen goes black and a pointer is blinking in the upper left corner of the screen.

What did I do wrong? /Sören

I'm not sure if this is what you want but I've always found it easier to do the following:

Install Win2k
Install Linux
Then go into linux and modify /etc/lilo.conf file so that it can be used to boot Win2k. Then write lilo to a floppy by doing the following: lilo -b /dev/fd0 (as root)
After this Just make sure the floppy is in the floppy drive when you boot. If you want to boot Win2k , just give it the tag you created in /etc/lilo.conf, and if you want linux , just type linux. After booting the OS you want, you can remove the floppy.

Hope this helps...

How big is your hard drive??

A couple of things to try would be to add "LBA32" to your conf file if not already. Another would be to try with or without linear mode.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

I might end up with what asb555 suggested but I really want win2k bootmanager to handle the choices of OS. My co-worker asked me what I did. He then installed slackware on his laptop and managed to dualboot. He used the same commands I did. He´s teasing my all day long. grrr...

Doug:
My harddrive is 20Gb
2 windows partitions 4Gb (ntfs5 c:) and 14Gb (ntfs5 d:)
1 linux partion ("behind" the win2k partitions) + swap

What does linear mode do?
I thought it had something to do with scsi-dics so I let it be.
I don´t have the lba32 parameter. What does it do?

When I choose linux in win2k bootmanager. will lilo take over from there? (I´ve installed lilo on the linux-partition)

Don:
I´ve seen that guide. I forgot where I found it though. Thanks. I never wanted to let lilo take care of the boot-process. But perheps I should :) /Sören

FINALLY!!!

looked over the lilo.conf once more.

deleted the line "linear" and added "lba32"

thanks everyone. /Sören

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back