Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Wan Routers + Cisco firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I've been doing research about dual wan routers. I need to purchase one because I'm starting to host a few users for remote users. I plan on having the following :

1 webserver
1 mail + application server
1 mail + application server
1 citrix server

All of this for different clients. Currently I have a Business 3 or 4 Mb downstream and 768kb upstream DSL link. I would like to add a second DSL from a different provider or even cable but I want to do load balancing and maybe shotgun. Now so far I have researched 3 different models :
Nexland 800Turbo (now owned by Symantec called Firewall/VPN 200), Edimax and Xincom. Now with prelimary info, each wan port has a public IP but the Lan side has a private IP. I have at least 2 Cisco Pix firewalls to protect my servers. If I inster the Pix firewalls on the lan side, they will only get private IPs on their outside interface. There are static routes that define how data is passed from a certain public IP to a certain server. How would I accomplish this. I would basically need a Dual Wan Router that doesn't do NAT so let my 10 or so public IPs through. After that, if I let my public IPs through, then each Pix firewalls has specific outside going routes. Each server has a gateway entry to a specific Firewall, should one wan go down, how will the redundancy work ?

From what I understand with the original setup. Since the Lan side only has one private IP address, all the servers point to this address as the gateway. Should one WAN link go down, the router itself will Nat the data from the lan side to the secondary wan. The servers don't see the change since the lan gateway ip doesn't change. Am I correct in assuming this ?

Now I need a solution that will allow me to allow multiple public IPs go through the router to different firewalls. I also need redundancy, load sharing and shotgun. I don't really need a high download but mostly upload. I can go for a T1 but it's 5 times more expensive than what I'm paying for currently. Any other products that can do what I'm looking for ?

anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back