Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual slot CPDC card bad? RLS 7.65

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonetech2012

Vendor
May 18, 2012
US
We have a dual slot cpdc card that we want to keep as a spare. I am trying to load it up as far as I can without deploying it but I think the card is bad. When I pop it in my shelf the only lights that I see are the RED, which goes red, and then the STS goes solid red. I never see the hard drive flash or light up at all. I do have the bootable usb stick in the usb slot but I am pretty sure the hard drive is bad. Any thoughts?

connect a terminal to the console port---if you see where it can't find the operating system you can assume the hard drive is bad. If you don't get anything I would suspect the card.

I have my laptop on the console cable in the back but never see any activity on the screen. I tried from port 0 and port 1 of the cable, with a gender bender, not a modem eliminator. I have not plugged a monitor into the faceplate yet but I think it's a dead drive.

Try booting it up without the USB drive in the faceplate

You also need to make sure you are using USB 2.0 and not all USB sticks are compatible with the CPDC

For CP DC and CP MG servers, press the F key immediately after the server begins
rebooting

Type com1 to install using a serial console on COM1.
OR
Type kvm to install using an attached keyboard and video monitor.

If you log on to the COM1 port, make sure that Caps Lock is turned off before
you log on.

I have a 2.0 usb and I formatted it, made it bootable with the linux software copied on to it. I also did try booting it up without the usb and still get nothing. I did hit F key but never see anything on the screen. Did Not try typing Com1 though.
I would think that I should see something on the screen showing a connection or a light flashing on the hard drive at some point.

Kstaff22 is correct. The 54 will boot to screen without a HD just like any other server.
Pull the HD and boot, you should get something on screen, if not card is bad or bad memory.

Thanks for the info. I tried re seating the memory and the HD but still get nothing out of this card. I have a new card, new HD and 4 gig of memory being sent out. Hopefully this one works. I will update this post with my findings.

My money is on a bad memory stick like Janaya mentioned. The CPDC's will run forever with a bad memory stick but as soon as you power down the card, it's game over.

I got the new card and noticed the hard drive light flicker as soon as I put in the card. I was able to load the card up with linux and the new SP 8, which is my next question.

This new spare primary UCM card is now on SP 7.65_8. When the day comes that I need to plug this card in, am I going to have to upgrade my call server and member server cards patches as well? The existing primary UCM and secondary signalling server are currently on SP 7.65_5. Will I get a conflict if I put in the spare card to test and leave all the other cards patches and SP's as they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back