Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Router Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

telexpress

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have a linksys single port router(LAN=192.168.0.x), with DHCP disabled, hooked up to our ADSL line. The router is fed into our 3com 24 port switch. We also have a linksys wireless router(LAN=192.168.2.x), with DHCP enabled, where the 3com switch is connected to the WAN port of the wireless router. Anyway, I am having problems connecting to our servers, (i.e. getting mail form our exchange server) from the computers behind the wireless router. Any suggestions?

I am pretty sure your problem is your gateway on the wireless router. should be 192.168.0.1 why did you skip 1 and went to 2?

Network schematic
[tt]
Internet
|
modem
|
router---switch---WAN|wifi
| |
| |
PC1 PC2
[/tt]
- your wired router has DHCP disabled, and runs a 192.168.0.x network
- your wireless router has DHCP enabled, and runs a 192.168.2.x network.

The wireless will not serve DHCP to the wired PCS.
What IP addresses do the wired PCs use? Is it static or dynamic? What provides DHCP to them?

Because the wired has DHCP disabled, it will not give the wireless an IP address (for the WAN port). This IP should be 192.168.0.x (not 2.x).

The easiest fix would be to put them all on the same subnet - instead of plugging into the WAN port, plug into the LAN port.
Personally, I'd find it easier if the wired router handled DHCP instead of the wireless. If they're on the same subnet, the wireless will pass the IPs through to the wireless clients.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

1. Throw out the BEFSR11, it does not have enough RAM to do store and forward for more than a couple of users.

2. Connect the wireless router to the ADSL modem, and enable DHCP.

3. Take a CAT-5 drop cable and run it from a regular LAN port to the uplink port on the switch.

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back