Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual processors and multi tasking in VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsmith

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
AU
I notice when I look at both processors activity in task manager, one processor seems to do most of the work for a while then the other does it for a while, rather than share equally.
Is there a way you can allocate various tasks of a vb6 program to either processor so that say a movie or moving graphics could play in one processor while network data and databases could be updated by the other.
This would reduce the occasional jitter on the movie or graphics movement when multiple things are happening.
Alternately would it be better to have 2 apps running but how would you allocate each app to a different processor?

VB is single-threaded. A single VB app thus cannot take advantage of multiple cores.

>how would you allocate each app to a different processor?

By setting the procesor affinity. This can be done through task manager: open the processes tab, right-click the process you want top mess with, and you'll see an affinity menu option (if you'vce got multiple cores/processors)

As I recall, there are a number of freebie downloads that allow you to create profiles that set this up automatically - but such automation isn't built into XP or Vista

Thanks, do you mean that every time you start windows, it normally wont remember the affinity settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back