Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual processor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i am thinking about building a dual processor system and have a question (try not to laugh.. it's silly i think..) If i dual boot win2k and win98SE how does the dual processor board react? does it just recognise the first processor in 98? or will 98 not work at all? Also, what advantages/drawbacks to dual processor systems have?

thanks alot

mike

I have a dual-CPU system and dual-boot between Win98se and Win2k Pro. Windows 98 just ignores the second CPU without hiccups. Are you a massively multi-tasking user, or use Photoshop or Maya for creating large graphics files or 3-D modeling? Do you use other programs that are multi-thread enabled? If so, you might do well to build a dual-CPU system running under Win2k Pro. And, if you play a lot of computer games, then Win98se is nice to have to make sure those games will run correctly. Some people have great luck getting games to run in Win2K, but I am not one of them. If it's only for playing games, don't bother with a dual-CPU system. Only Quake3 claims to support dual-CPU systems, and I've heard it doesn't do all that good of a job at it. So, if it's just games, or internet surfing, or word processing, build a single CPU system and use the money you'd have spent on a more expensive motherboard & 2nd CPU to get extra RAM, or a killer graphics card, or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back