Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Processor conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darts

Technical User
Apr 8, 2002
CA
I have installed an identical second processor kit in a 6-month old IBM eSeries x345 server and it seems to be woking splendidly.

However, I was surprised to see that the CPU Usage History graph in the Performance tab of Task manager has been split into four panes rather than the expected two. Also strange it that Windows Diagnostics system info shows four separate processor entries... I'm interested to know what's going on with this Windows2K box.

Note I compared same in a similar single-processor machine and Windows Diagnostics actually shows the processor twice which I hadn't noticed before (so maybe four entries for two processors is normal) - but on this machine there is only the one CPU pane in Taskman.

Any explanations?

Cheers!

[Morning]

Darts

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" -- Dale Carnegie.

It is called Hyperthreading and if you don't want it you can turn it off in the BIOS. There is also a way in task manager to make it just show the 2 panes but that info escapes me at this time.

Well I guess it's been quite a while since we bought anything new! I was aware of HT, but never paid it much attention - guess I have a little research to do. Thank you both.

[morning]

Darts.

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" -- Dale Carnegie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back