Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual processor at different speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainpb

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
GB
Can all dual prcessor machines can run two chips at different speeds, or should they be the same speed, in particular i am referring to the compaq professional 5100.
Thanks in advance...

-transmitted on 100% recycled electrons-

Typically compaqs will run processors at different speeds, though it is best if they are the same speed. More important is the cache size and stepping. The cache on both chips must be identical and the stepping must be within 2.

Even with good cache size and steppings you can still get problems with different speeds.
I had a problem with a piece of software a while back that would not run properly at all with a 350/400 combo.
Ran perfectly when I changed to a 400/400.

Neill

No,No,No ... it is not right to run 1 machine with different processor speeds.
I have never heard of that being accepted. In fact, I have 4 Compaq and 3 IBM dual processor machines, and never, I repeat, never ran them with different speeds. As a matter of fact that is specifically stated in anything I've ever read about dual processor machines ... you cannot have processors with un-matched speeds.

I'm not going to say that I recommend doing it, but yes you can run two different speeds. I'm currently running an 1850r with a 400 and a 450 processor. It's not hurting anything, and probably won't. Then again I would tell someone to do it, if your going to set it up, set it up right the first time. I just wanted my machine running and it's for personal use anyways....

such is life...

It's acknowledged by OEMs that mismatched speeds can work they just don't recommend you do it. Some even go as far as to try and match CPU batch numbers.

How do you run the processors?
The jumper settings can only account for 1 speed.
Do you just run it at the slowest setting? I guess that would work since it's a faster processor, although these chips were generally marked slower than they needed to be for stability.

On my 1850r the jumper settings mean not a whole lot.. I've put from 400-600 mHz on the motherboard, and on the bootup it comes up with the correct speed. The OS also comes up with the correct speeds(both Windows and Linux), and I haven't had a problem yet with it. I'd love to have 2 600 processors in there, but my addiction to ebay computer shopping, has left processor buying on the back burner for right now.

Anyone want to join my EA meetings(Ebay Anonymous), just drop me a line and we can start down the 12 step path!!! j/k

such is life...

Check out the whitepaper 'TC030403TB mixing Intel® 32-bit processors in ProLiant servers'. You can find it at:
The Pentium II, III, and workstation Xeon processors are speed locked and can not be mixed.

The Intel position for the dual processor class of CPU is that mixed stepping is OK within the same family but speed and cache size mixing is not supported.

Interesting. I just installed a second processor in Compaq DL380G2, it said you can use different speeds and it will configure itself to the lower of the two. Must be some limits, but it didn't mention any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back