Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual proc vs. single proc, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardMartinIII

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Okay, we're jumping to a production-only machine, and I'd really appreciate some advice.

Aside from the basic required software (OS- & networking-related), the real powerhouse software on the new machine will be Premiere 6.5 and After Effects 5.5 Production Bundle.

Now...

I hear a variety of conflicting reports of Pentium vs. AMD. For doing this kind of work, it seems AMD tends to edge out Pentium, but I haven't seen a definitive difference.

I have also heard that dual processor machines have a slight edge (using these apps) over single processor machines, but nothing like a 2x improvement.

What I would like, if any of you care to answer, is your thoughts on these or other comparisions, based on practical application.

I stress practical application because I know that benchmarks can tell one story, but in reality, it can be "Well, that translates to taking 15 hours to render a movie instead of 13.5" and, usually, that hour and a half isn't gonna kill me, but it WILL save me $800.

If there is a site that specifically addresses the needs of such software, I'd appreciate pointers to that, too.

And, I'll post anything I find, too, of course.

Thanks!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Well, I ended up going with a single proc machine, a 2.4G P4 with hyperthreading. I'll report back on how fast it is once I finish transferring the 130G of files from the three different drives of the old machine...

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

E i can't say that its the best to do video production with. We scrapped all our amd processors for p4's and have seen a significant difference.

And support for AMD has waned over the last year; getting techinical support is pretty much non-existent now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back