Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Pentium Pro 200Mhz - installing the second CPU 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schubocks

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
Hello, recently I've aquired a Pentium Pro 200Mhz system, and the motherboard is capable of dual processors. I found a second identical processor, but can't seem to figure out precisely how to connect the fan wires from the second processor. Both processors have their own heat sync and fan connected to it. The first/original processor's fan is directly connected to one of the plastic connectors that eventually leads to the power supply. My question is how do I hook up the second processor's fan wires. Is it as simple as splicing the other fans wires, tapping into the power, and then covering the wires with electrical tape? or is it more complex than that.

A second question that I have, is that I intend in installing Madrake Linux 9.0 onto this box... does Mandrake have dual processor capabilities? I downloaded the ISO's from LinuxISo_Org. Help me ASAP, because I'm giddy with excitement from this recent aquirement of mine.

-Schubocks

You can get an adapter at Radio Shack or computer store to
adapt the power plug to daisy chain the two fans to the power supply plug. You don't have to splice any wires.
I don't know about Mandrake--someone else can answer that one. Jim

Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

There should be connectors on the motherboard - most PPro boards have them. Alternatively, you could daisy-chain the fans as Jim says.

You also need at least one VRM (Voltage Regulator Module).

On the 2nd question, yes, all versions of Linux "do SMP" - or are multi-processor aware. More recent versions have the capability built in, previous versions required a kernel re-compile. I installed Mandrake 8.0 on my dual PPro box, and it recognised both processor immediately.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks guys, that helps me out a lot.

-Schu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back