Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

markmccown

Vendor
Nov 30, 1999
US
There are 2 issues I would like to clear up.<br>
1) One is I have a DOS 6.22 upgrade. Will this <br>
a) Install over my Win 98 or<br>
b) Will it install &quot;under&quot; win 98?<br>
<br>
If it installs over.. how would I create a dual operating system?

Yep, if you install DOS6.22 it will overwrite Win98's system files and it's goodbye Win98.<br>
<br>
Are you running FAT32 on Win98? If so, you can't use DOS at all as it does not recognise FAT32, only FAT16.<br>
<br>
The other issue is if this is the upgrade version of Win98 or the OEM version? I'm not 100% sure with Win98, but with Win95 you can dual boot only if you have the upgrade version. If you have the OEM version, you can't dual boot to DOS (well, you can but you have to do some playing to get it working - it ain't just straight forward!!).<br>
<br>
<br>

In testing some of my software for backward compatibility I've often had to boot to DOS 3.x, 4.0, 5.0 and 6.x.<br>
The trick is to boot from a floppy.<br>
Don't get hooked on ancient technology. There is enough of it out there to require some of us to revert to it. Most people can just stick to the latest-and-greatest (however flawed it might be). Think about your reasons for using an earlier OS.<br>
<br>
If you don't want to load Windows on boot, just ATTRIB -R C:\MSDOS.SYS and change the LoadGUI = 1 line to LoadGUI = 0. You'll have all the benefits of a black and white command prompt without all the headaches of a crash-prone desktop.

Just asking. Does Win98 allow you to boot to a command prompt only by pressing the F8 key before after the hardware check on bootup? My assumption is that it does since Win98 is Win95 vr D. As long as he has Fat16 on the drive, or at least a partition that is fat16, he should be able to use the DOS that comes with Windows.<br>
<br>
Am I wrong? maybe a floppy is easier.<br>
<br>
Paul

Hey, markmccown may have the same reasons for using 6.22 that I have for using 3.10. We do what we have to do.<br>
<br>
Does anyone know of a way to boot to an ancient OS without formatting the hard drive or booting to a floppy?<br>

My reason for asking is that it may not be necessary to load 6.22 specifically - the version 7.xx than is built into Win95 may be sufficient.

i am in a class, (which ends tomorrow) and i wanted to be able to have a full version of dos on my system. the version with 95 & 98 is not a complete version. i went out and got a 6.22 upgrade but, never opened it. you really can't buy a full version any more. my understanding is Win2000 will do away with dos all together.<br>
<br>
<br>

Win2000 is still Windows NT. NT never used DOS, however, Win2000 does still utilize the DOS Box concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back