Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Nics

Status
Not open for further replies.

E1Designs

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2005
US
Windows Storage 2003...can I set up load balancning or make use of the dual nics in terms of performance and not redundancy? Otherwise I will use one if I can not.

Thanks!!!

You can, but it depends on several factors. NIC teaming (which seems to be what you're after) happens more at the driver/hardware layer than at the Windows 2003 OS configuration level. If your NICs support it then you can do it. However you also need to have an ethernet switch that supports it too. The specific protocol that you're looking for is 802.3ad (though there's also some proprietary ones, for example Cisco's EtherChannel, which some Intel NICs also support).

There are some situations in which NIC teaming is not supported, particularly certain scenarios with iSCSI or clustering on Windows Server, but for the most part it can be done.

Hope this helps some!

Isaac Orr

That was of help. Thank you, I will check on some Intel software to do the trick :)

It is an Aberdeen...one of their AberNAS units...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back