Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual monitors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sybarite

Technical User
Jan 6, 2002
US
I have an older IBM Aptiva desktop with AMD-K6 350 Mhz and a ATI RAGE PRO TURBO AGP Display Adapter.

I need to add a second monitor to display simultaneously.

Can I simply add another inexpensive PCI video card? or must I replace the AGP card with a dual-output card (I don't know if the display adapter is "on-board" or removable), or a third option, disable the display adapter I have and add a dual-head PCI card.

I don't know if the AGP on the computer is 1X or 2X or 4X.

Guidance and advice appreciated.

In Windows 98, you can only use dual monitors with either:

1. A dual head card
2. Multiple PCI cards (AGP combinations not supported :-()

In Windows 2000, however, AGP combinations are allowed.

You asked:
"Can I simply add another inexpensive PCI video card?"

Yes. If I had a nice healthy full sized NAME BRAND mainboard, I would be completely confident that I could do this with minimal effort.
That is not the same as saying I would even want to try on some old factory made PC with integrated graphics.

It may be a piece of cake though. Buy a $20 PCI card - try one with NVIDIA CHIPSET,,,,,,, you do NOT want TWO ATI video cards in the same system if your going to do this.
( I don't know how I know this, but I just think that is what I remember).

** Please note: I did some research, and found a good link for you to use, if you want some SOLID info (and not relying on my limited knowledge of something older like PCI video cards).

Try that,
and GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back