Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual monitors, one goes black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konglow

Technical User
Aug 7, 2005
Both monitors work fine until my absence causes them to save power and go dark. When activated only one comes back up. The black one still has all the icons behind blk screen because I can slide mouse in and pull icons out, it's hit and miss but all can be fished out. So what is it with this black cover screen? How do I get rid of it? 20 yrs of dual screens and never seen this.

1. OS - Vista, XP, Windows7, 98SE, win3.11, Linux?
2. how are you telling the monitors to go to sleep, or are you just using Screensavers?
3. how are the monitors hooked up? VGA, DVI, HDMI, BNC etc...

So what is it with this black cover screen?
probably the monitor just is not coming out of sleep, ergo it is not getting the signal to do so... thus the questions above as to the environment...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Swap monitors to see if it is hardware, or if it is software issue. If the sleep issue is on the same monitor but connected to the other output, replace the monitor. If it stays on the same side, but with a different monitor hooked up, look at configuration of software settings.

Is the problem monitor an LCD, or CRT? If digital, it may be a backlight problem.

Sorry to take so long getting back. I have yet to swap either LCD which is hooked up VGA, no HDMI on screens. I run Vist 32. Once, only once did the other screen do the same, go black. I believe this indicates that it's not the monitors? I used a black screen saver and changed it to ribbons but same problem. I do get ribbons but when they shut off and go blk I end up with the same revival problem. If I put to sleep and wake up the screen will come back on till I leave, then sceern saver, then black again.

I will suggest, that you update your mainboards BIOS to the latest, as there are issues with ACPI and VISTA sleep states...

and if that does not alleviate your problem, then turn off the POWERSAVE function of the monitor under VISTA... basically just letting the screensaver handle the blanking alone...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Are they both connected to the same graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back