Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Monitors on IBM Thinkpads & USB VGA adapters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
We are trying to find out the best USB to VGA adapter on our Thinkpads (mix of T60's and T42's). We have used Manhattan USB/VGA adapters, an IOGEAR adapter, and even a MATROX DualHead2Go analog adapter, but in addition to noticeable delays, we also have problems where when people start up their machines at the beginning of the day they have to reconfigure the dual displays...I've read thread749-1362161 and someone there said that you can use the video port on the Thinkpad as well as the video port on the docking station, but we haven't had luck with that setup and have to use the USB adapters. Has anyone else had luck with this type of setup??? Thanks very much in advance!

I know the Targus ACP50 docking station has a USB based video card, and you can use two monitors with it, but the USB video card in it is not for heavy use. I found one super-cheap here:

but it comes with the wrong driver disc, get the drivers from the Targus site.

Another thought would be PCMCIA video cards, which will have the benefit of a larger data pipe. This one handles two displays on its own:

But a little searching should find you one that's better than a USB card and a little cheaper. Best of luck!

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back