Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Monitor: ATI CCC Detects Working LCD and Stops Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zytrex

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
Windows XP SP2
Video: ATI X1900XTX
Monitor: hp p1130 (high end 21" Trinitron)
Monitor: Generic 15" 1024x768 LCD

When I say the LCD is generic, I really mean it. It doesn't have any real names on it anywhere. I got it from a friend and who knows where he got it.

ATI Catalyst Control Center detects it as "DDC Display." It sees it, says it is fine and tries to use it supposedly, but I get no picture. I have it set to default settings of 1024x768, but there's just no picture. The only way I am able to make it work is by tricking ATI CCC into thinking it is something else.

My hp p1130 has two VGA inputs. I can unplug the cable from the LCD, plug it into the second input on my hp p1130, and tell ATI CCC to detect monitors again. It then sees that I have two hp p1130 monitors. In the software, I drag out the monitor which is no longer selected and swap it with the newly detected hp p1130. The default settings are still 1024x768 60Hz.

I switch my monitor to the second input and there's the picture. I close ATI CCC, unplug the cable from the second input, plug it back into the LCD, and there is the picture, perfectly clear.

If at this time I hit the detect monitors button again, the LCD picture vanishes again. If I don't do that, but restart the computer, it unfortunately detects the LCD at startup and I have to go through this process again. There is a checkbox that can be unchecked so the ATI CCC does not autodetect monitors when the software starts, but I guess XP detects them when it starts, so that doesn't help.

I hope someone can help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back