Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual lan card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kems

Programmer
Nov 3, 2003
FR
hi

I have to configure a win2000 server (A) which have two LAN card, linked via two differents switch to the same network (B).
Code:
Server
 A
 -|
 1----[...]-----|
  |             +------------SERVER B
 2----[...]-----|
  |
 -|

I want to use its as failover,
- the first is up with 10.0.0.1, the second is down.
- if the first switch has a problem, the second card goes up with 10.0.0.1 and the first disconnect.

If someone knows a solution (or a software)?

Rémy.

Have you tried NIC Teaming with failover. Teaming nics together will allow both of them to operate and if one fails the other kicks in.

I found that NIC teamng is easy to use on Win 2K advanced sever, but i need to do that with win 2k server. I found expensive software on the web, but i just need this _little_ feature :)

Rémy.

What type of servers are you running? If these are well now servers such as Compaq, HP, etc. then their NIC cards should support NIC Teaming and come with the drivers already. I have installed it numerous times on both windows NT and 2000 server and advanced server.

If your server is a generic server then check with the manufacture of the card, they might offer a nic teaming agent for free since you already have the card.

Buy a Compaq 3131 NIC - there was one on eBay recently for about £20 - Also IBM have similar cards. They are all based on Intels 8255x Chipset and have drivers that support NIC Teaming. I use 2 Compaq NC3121 PCI cards and do teaming over the 2 cards. If you have generic Intel cards of the same type you can do teaming by just downloading the drivers from Intels website.

andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back