Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual ISP for IP Office Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricMcS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2015
CA
My goal is to make my IP office more resilient in the event of a single ISP outage (or in our case, the modem needs to be rebooted, which is happening more often with out Rogers.)

- I am running IP Office 11.0.4.
- We have a Hybrid environment running SIP on-prem and remote over HTTPS.
- I have 2x 1GB ISPs each with static IP address
- J169s are configured with either SIP profile pointed at DNS name or 2 profiles, 1 for each IP address
- I have both NICs connected to firewall on different IP scopes/VLANs.

I am testing using my Equinox app on phone, one IP works fine, the other does not. Both have been NATed in firewall in the same manner.

Everything seems fine, the one thing I can't seem to figure out is, when I enable SIP Remote Extension, it says you can only have that on 1 NIC. Does this mean that the way I am doing it is not the right way, or does it mean that IP Office doesn't support Dual NICs for external SIP phones?

You should only be doing 1 NIC on the IP Office, possibly a second ONLY for SIP trunks and remote phones through your SBC, depending on the exact architecture. The failover/high availability should 100% be managed by your firewall, not attempted anywhere in the IPO.

You don't mention what firewall you're using.

The best way to do that is to get an SD WAN from a provider of your choice that has a backup (usually cell) and when the main connection fails the backup takes over and your public IP stays the same so there is no need to re-register or have other programming done in the IPO to make it work.
Much more stable this way but you pay for what you get.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

We are looking to remove a single-point-of-failure, not just diverse paths - that way it protects against a modem failure as well as an ISP failure (it's more common here than I like.)

According to nnaarrnn, multiple IPs are not supported by Avaya on the IP Office - this seems like a poor decision (not that you guys work for Avaya and have anything to do with their choices.)

Firewall is a PFSense. I've been successful getting all the NAT working/routing configured, but in the IPO I can only define one Static IP per interface; so which ever static IP is defined works fine - but the alternate route registers and then falls off with a routing issue (the phone goes into a repeated state of registering and unregistering - the song plays on the phone every 5 seconds.) I can get both IPs to work independent without any changes in the firewall, just not together - I thought the second nic was the solution, but now, both will are working but whichever NIC has "enable SIP remote extension" will allow phones to connect and the other won't.

Unless I am missing something, IPO won't support what I want without a second IPO... This seems entirely like an Avaya software issue (or an additional license required.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back