Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual head v XP twin support

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim55

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2004
GB
I have been using an old Matrox G400 Dualhead card for some time, but have just bought a new PC with XP, which is not for games, so no fancy graphics are needed but I do need to run at 1600 x 1200. I was going to put the Matrox in it, but it is for a card slot format that my new PC does not have.

However, a new G450 is only £60 so no problem to replace, but I was thinking about using 3 monitors, not just 2.

The obvious two choices are:

1. To use a triple head card, such as the Matrox P750, but not only is this more like £145, but it says it only does triple head on analog monitors, which is no good, and how does it do 3 monitors when the pictures only show 2 outputs like a dual head?

2. Get a dual head and a normal card and use XPs multi-monitor support. What I don't know is whether this will actually give me the same effect, or if there are some oddities.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

tim55 said:
it only does triple head on analog monitors

I suspect this means analog connections, i.e. the VGA inputs rather than the DVI ones. You should still be able to use digital (i.e. LCD) monitors with it, you just won't be able to use their digital inputs.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back