Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual head card or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novexx

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
GB
I have a new XPPro machine which has onboard graphics (Intel945G), and I would like to use a paid of 15" LCD with it.

Is there any benefit in using say, a Matrox dual head card, or can much the same effect be had by just sticking in a cheap PCI graphics card?

It it's of any consequence, the monitors are analogue only, and my Mobo has no AGP slot, only standard PCI & PCI-e(x16).

Thanks

I should have probably said that this PC is used only for office work (Excel&Access), so has no requirement for much 3D or high performance.

I'm assuming you want to display the same thing on both monitors. You could use a VGA splitter in lieu of a dual head card. It sounds like what you want to do is use the onboard graphics for one and a PCI graphics card for the other, which you can't do. You either use the onboard graphics or you don't, but not in conjunction with another add-in card.

the idea of dual head is for presentation, you can get Clone view (same on both) Extended Desktop (great for Multiple open applications and of course Gaming) PCI is ok but you will need at least Windows 2000 for OS...

Many buget end PCI-E graphics cards have dual monitor support with dual connections, usually one DVI and the other Analog. If you get a DVI to analog adapter plug for less than a fiver, so you can drive both monitors.

This Sapphire Radeon X550 from Novatech has what you need - though it probably doesn't come with a DVI>VGA adapter plug:
It should have ample resources for running Office applications.

Regards: tf1

I agree
They way to go is a dual head PCI-e graphics card (not PCI)
And in my experience Nvidia drivers offer the easiest and best dual screen support.
SOOOO I would be looking for either a 6200 or 6600 with dual output and as already said a DVI to Dsub adapter (DVI to normal style VGA output)

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Not wishing to start a great debate about the advantages of nVidia over ATi <vbg>, I can add that we have around 25 of the Radeon X550s at work, all in HP dc7600s or similar driving either 2 x 17" or 1 x 17" and 1 x 19" TFTs. All installed without a problem.

Personally, I don't like dual monitors preferring a single large widescreen TFT.

Regards: tf1

I'm sure ATI's work fine with dual screens (I am an X800XT owner) but have to admit Nvidia make the easier drivers to implement and control this type of setup.
I agree a larger screen is better in my opinion that two smaller ones.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back