Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual DHCP Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarbs

MIS
Oct 16, 2005
AU
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I did any IOS work and have been given the job to keep things updated on our switches and routers in an emergency when the outsourced company has trouble getting to any of the systems. Can anyone confirm that it is possible to have two DHCP helper addresses for an interface? I am familiar with the ip helper-address xx.xx.xx.xx format but does it allow two entries. Can't find my old command reference PDF and the new Cisco doco web site isn't the easiest thing to use. Cheers...

Zarbs

Sorry guys,

I should have done a more refined search in the forum first. I found a post which had a link to a Cisco document which says:

Step 4
ip helper-address address

Example:
Router(config-if)# ip helper-address 172.16.1.2
Forwards UPD broadcasts, including BOOTP and DHCP.

•The address argument can be a specific DHCP server address, or it can be the network address if other DHCP servers are on the destination network segment. Using the network address enables other servers to respond to DHCP requests.

•If you have multiple servers, you can configure one helper address for each server.

Thanks...

Zarbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back