Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Core Xeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2000
GB
Hi there - just a little advice needed, i'm in the process of speccing a new Openserver 6 server. I'm looking at possibly going for a dual-processor, dual-core HP Proliant ML350 machine. Does anyone have an experience of using one of these and are there any problems with using a dual-core system?

Regards
James

we have sold hundreds of the proliant ml350 running openserver 5.0.7. The current model is the ml350 g4p and we equip it with the 641 scsi raid controller w/ disks (up to 6) and 2 hot swap power supplies. everything works well although you might want to revisit the need for dual cpu's. it will all depend on the application(s) you will be running, you will probably be I/O bound long before you tax the 3.x GHz Xeon.

Thanks for the reply! I'll consider what you said about the dual CPUs, but we're moving from an older dual CPU system which often maxes out on both the CPUs when i get a bunch of people on there all working.

Are the onboard network ports supported on the proliant machines, or do you use an additional network card in the machines when you supply them? I've included in my spec an intel PRO MT 1000 server card.

The Intel PRO/1000 MT works fine with OpenServer6.
The Broadcom (which came with several of our older ML350's) also works fine.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Hi Wizzer,
Openserver 6.0 will support dualcore Xeon as well as
Opteron from AMD. Make sure that you have installed Service
pack 2 on the server after openserver 6.0 installation. For
SCSI hard drives, HP was reccomending their server Proliant
370. I think DL 350 g4 comes with SATA drives and you will need SCSI card for RAid. You may be able to get Serially
attached SCSI drives with 350 with 10K RPM drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back