Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DUAL CORE CPU heating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan408

Technical User
Jul 24, 2006
US
hi all, i have a desktop dual core Xeon CPU 2.8GHZ 1.00GB of RAM. I run a burn-in Test using SiSoftSandra 2005 for these and every time the burn-in Test would stop after 3-4 second and show some warning about CPU2 cooling system thermal resistance. Also the test showed that CPU1 16 C degree and CPU2 65 C degree. I did check heatsink and fan for CPU2 it does work correctly. Anyway, my question is that are these CPUs function normal??? and is it ok if i run the test for 24 hrs?
thank you very much for your helps in advance

bryan408,

Is this a dual core or dual-processor system? Or both?

Anyway, my guess is if there are two discrete CPUs, and 2 discrete fans, that there is either a problem w/ the CPU or a gap in the thermal paste between processor & heatsink. I would not propose that you run anything for 24 hours with a 65C processor.

Remove the HSF from CPU2, clean off the old thermal paste using a tiny bit of alcohol on a Q-tip, polish w/ clean cloth. Reapply a BB-size glob of Arctic Silver, smooth it out with your finger inside a plastic bag. Blow the HSF w/ canned air then reattach the fan carefully.

If it still overheats post back.

Tony

im sorry this is a dual processor system :)and i just added on a second CPU so everthing is new (CPU, fan, Heatsink).
I also found out that the SiSandra test only can sensor the CPU1 fan only, not the CPU2 fan. do you think it is the problem why the CPU2 is 65C even though both of these fans are working properly. Anyway, let me take out the heatsink, clean up and put everything back and see what will happen then.
Thank you very much for your reply Tony
Regards,
Bryan

bryan408,

Thanks for clearing things up. Motherboard sensors are not always accurate, I don't think I've ever seen 16C. The fact that you received two extremes like that is suspicious. Maybe nothing at all is wrong. Did you configure the CPU addition yourself?

Tony

Did you configure the CPU addition yourself?

after cleaning up the way u told me, i still have the same problem CPU2 now is 69C and CPU 10C. I didn't reconfigue anything, BIOS is in DEFAULT. I let the computer ON over night it works fine except the CPU2 tempature. I really don't know what to do with this matter :(

First, are the 2 CPUs identical?

When you reboot, enter BIOS. Look for "hardware monitor" or the like. See what temp it displays. Does BIOS see the two CPUs? In Windows, does the Task Manager show two cores?

10C is 50 degrees F, unless it's in a refrigerator you should never get that low of a reading. For peace of mind, you could invest in either a thermal gun or a temp probe like this:

I think Sandra has had a few drinks.

Tony

yes both of these are Xeon 2.8GHZ
BIOS
PC HEALTH STATUS
Auto FAN1 Startup temp [36C]
Auto FAN2 Startup temp [36C]
Current CPU0 temp 27C/80F
Current CPU1 temp 22C/71F

I dun know how to check these two under task manager but i do see both CPU 1 and 2 when i go to Device Manager. Anyway i think this heating problem came from Sandra itself...??....

That sounds better. CTR+ALT+DEL ->Task Manager->Performance you should see two boxes representing both CPUs. Much ado about nothing, Sandra was not communicating properly with the temp sensors. Looks like the re-seat was good.

Tony

CTR+ALT+DEL ->Task Manager->Performance

yes i saw 2 boxes one is CPU usages 0% and the underneath box indicates PF Usages 461MB, also there are some graphics on the right though.

You should see TWO CPU boxes on top next to each other and one PF box below. The CPU box should be split in two showing both cores. Total 3 boxes, sorry for the bum steer. If you don't see the two CPU boxes, Windows does not see the second CPU.

Tony

If two CPUs are not showing in Task Manager Performance then I suspect a Uniprocessor HAL was loaded due to only one processor present at the time of the OS install.

To see what HAL is loaded, get into Device Manager and expand the Computer icon. If Windows is configured for both CPUs, you should see the word Multiprocessor in the expanded view. If you see Uniprocessor then the HAL has to be changed in order for Windows to use both processors.

sorry guys i was hella busy last weekend!
Anyway it is a multiprocessor.
Device Manager>Computer
ACPI Multiprocessor PC

and also this is what i see under Processor

Device Manager>Processor
Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.8Ghz

Well alrighty then! Put that bad boy to work! Thanks for the update.

Tony

so we know that the system is multiprocessor 2xCPU2.8Ghz and it is running fine except the overheat message from Sandra burn-in test. all im wondering is that why we have these warning message though ???? Any Sandra expert in here :)
btw, thanks Tony for all of your responses
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back