Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual booting with xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDEdwards

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
US
I have an 80gb hdd which I plan to dual boot with XP and 98. I also plan to add additional partitions. Please tell me if the setup I have laid out here will work.

1gb NTFS C: - Windows XP
39gb NTFS D: - Program Files
35gb NTFS E: - Program Files & Miscellaneous
5gb FAT32 F: - Windows 98 / Program Files

Now, my question is, if I preformat all of these drives to what their file system above says, when I go to install Windows 98, will it see the F drive as Fat32, or will it try and format my C?

If it does, should I format C as Fat32, and then just tell Windows 98 to install to F?

What i would do is make the windows xp partition 5 gigs. Make the D:\ NTFS so it can be used by xp. Make the E:\ the 5 gig 98 fat32. Make the F:\35 gb fat 32.

This way you can make sure your Windows XP install has enough breathing room. You can even copy the i386 (is it still i386) directory to your harddrive and not need to use the xp cd itself for drvier installations also. Then the 35 gig NTFS will be plenty for your windows xp stuff. Your 98 install is fine on anything above a gig but i believe in leaving some room. And lastly the 35 gig fat is good for both windows xp and 98. Both can read and write to it and you can transfer stuff back and forth that way.

Install 98 first, to the E:. then install xp to the C:.

I know Im able to install 98 to a partition other than C, but my problem is at present, my confusion over the issue of does C need to be Fat32, for windows98 install to run, so I can then install it to F?

It should not be hard to put C: as the 98 partition first. then the D: as the fat32 partion. Then the Ntfs Win xp on E: and finallly the F: NTFS also. I really doesn't matter to XP where ya put it. 98 needs to be installed first and i'd now (after Berton's Post) suggest that you install it to the C:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back