Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DUAL BOOTING W2K/XP : Office 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGL72

MIS
Jul 2, 2001
US
Heres my situation, I'm working with a machine that is running both W2K Pro, and XP Pro. W2K being my main OS. But I'm starting to play a lot more with XP to get used to it.

The only really program I want on all the time is my Outlook 2000. I have not yet loaded it on the XP side but plan on doing so if I can get this to work.

I would like to know if its possible to save whatever needs to be saved (configuration, emails, contacts, folders, etc) for outlook 2000 to work properly to a common location. Either a specified partition on the local PC or a network share.

That way no matter if I load my W2K Pro, or XP Pro I will always have the same settings, email accounts, etc loaded up and available to me.

Is this possible? Anything online explaining how to do this? That would be great - Thanks for your help!

Yes I believe so. What you should try is move your outlook.pst file to a common directory other than the default directory, else it will be overwritten when you install Outlook 2k on your secondary OS. I use d:/docs/outlook/outlook.pst as a path. Before you move the file, be sure to export you .pst to a backup.pst in the same root path has you are going to move you outlook.pst to. To do this follow these instructions.

A. Exporting File
1. Select 'File' 'Import Export'
2. Scroll up and highlight 'Export to file' and click next.
3. Scroll down and highlight 'Personal Folders File (.pst) and click next.
4. Scroll to the top and select you top level directory and be sure to check the box that says 'Include Subfolders' and click next.
5. Be sure the change the pathing of the backup.pst file to the new directory such as d:/docs/outlook/backup.pst. Make sure that this path actual exists before clicking 'Finish'
6. Copy your outlook.pst folder to the new directory. If you are having trouble locating the default locations, just to a search for outlook.pst, once found right click, copy, then open a windows explorer and past to the new directory.

Once you have completed this:

B. Open New Folder
1. On your top level folders in your 'view' 'folder list' right click on your 'Outlook Today' folder and select close.
2. Select 'File' 'Open' 'Personal Folders File'
3. Locate the new directory where you just copied the outlook.pst to and open the outlook.pst file.

Now you have opened your outlook.pst folder in you new directory path. Next you need to install Outlook, if you haven't already on the second OS and follow steps 1 - 3 on section B. Open New Folder.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back