Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Booting, a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dringer

MIS
Jul 16, 2003
US
I have formatted the c drive on my pc, it had windows server installed on it. Then I installed windows 2000 pro on the formatted c drive. Having done all this I am gettin an option on bootup whethe I want to run windows 2000 pro or windows server.
Any ideas?

During your install you had partitioned your hard drive to have both OS on it. If you truly would like to rid yourself of the Server version, back up any files that you may have on the machine under the server OS, and then reformat your HDD completely. If you have difficulties getting the machine to reformat, start up your machine and during boot, use the hot-key to enter your system BIOS, usually something like DEL or F8 it will tell you to enter "" to enter setup. When you get into your bios you want to set your boot sequence to look at the CD Rom before the Harddrive, this will enable you on your next boot to run from the CD and will give you the background installation which will allow you to reformat completely and set up any partions needed. If you need more information contact me. tmoond@hotmail.com

S.C. Albertin
Database Administrator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

If you did the format while installing 2k pro (ie, using its partitioning/formatting tools), you probably just need to edit boot.ini to remove the server option (2k install 'cleverly' saves existing boot.ini in memory BEFORE you get to partitioning/foramtting bit - and uses it as basis for new boot.ini (ie, adds to it).

Right click my computer, select properties, advanced, start up and recovery, uncheck display of operating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back