Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jghall

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
CA
Hey, I am currently dual booting w/

XP Pro SP1 and Windows 2000 SP3

I wanted to remove Win2k and install Win2k Server. Do I have to format the entire HDD (80G) and reinstall both XP and Server or can I just format the drive that Win2k is on and install server on that??

yes you can just format the win2k part and install win200 server, then if winxp does not recognise win2kserver then boot fro your winxp cd and start the recovery console then type help for a list of commands (you are looking for fix boot it think its called) "You Cant Run From Death Forever, But You Can Make The Bastard Work For it

Assuming 2k partition has the boot sector files on it (ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini), you'll need to put the XP versions of these back after you've installed 2k server in order to boot XP (you can copy them from XP install CD - \i386 or save current ones before you format).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back