Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darr3n

Technical User
Nov 10, 2005
CA
Hi,

I want to set up dual booting on my machine. I'd like a choice of 2 Windows XP o/s's. I already have XP Pro installed on 1 250GB Sata drive and want to install it on a second 300GB Sata drive in my machine.

When I go to install XP on the second drive, I get a message saying that Windows needs to copy files to a Windows XP ready partition and it suggests copying these files to the drive which already has XP installed, but when I choose that drive, it won't continue, saying it can't find an XP ready partition and I am unable to install.

I am stumped on how to proceed with the install, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Darr3n

Remember that since the installation has to be a clean one (done with a boot from the XP CD), you will need to have the disk drivers available on a floppy diskette. Very early on XO will ask you to hit F6 if you have RAID drivers. Hit F6 and place the SATA driver diskette in your floppy drive to allow XP to be able to find your 300gb SATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back