Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot xp-98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2002
GB
Just a simple question…..I read somewhere that if you are going to set up a duel boot you have to install the older system first, but is it possible, once xp is installed, to install 98?
I have a 60gb HD split down the middle 30/30 and after running xp for a while I am finding a number of software compatibility probs with some stuff I used on my old 98 system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, there are several approaches to do this.

MY preference would be to use a third party boot manager ( is what I use - free for personal use).

If you use boot-us, you can use its functionality to hide the XP partition while you install 98 (you can do this from its GUI or dos utility). Once hidden, install 98 on second partition (must be a primary partition for this to work) as normal (eg, boot from CD or boot floppy to start the install). Once 98 installed, unhide the XP partition again - machine will now boot into XP. Use boot-us GUI to set up boot menu (can save to floppy to test if you want).

This method will make each operating system independent (as both will have their own boot sector in their own partition) - so if you remove/corrupt one, the other will still function.

PS. If your XP is using ntfs, you might want a piece of freeware from (ntfs for win98) which will let you read (not write) the XP ntfs partition from 98.

Please post back if this not clear or you would like an alternative method.

yes you have to put the older one first, when installing xp it will promt you in which partition you want to install it. but what is the real problem you are facing?

How to add Win98 to an EXISTING Win XP computer:

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

you can have 98 or Xp on any of the two drives.Install Xp on drive C then take it out of the computer. Install another hard drive and install 98. When you are done, hook up both drives to your machine one as the slave and the other the master. use Xp as the master is my recommendation. When done go to download the program and install into Xp. This program will sniff out any boot records and give you a display on which you would like to boot with at startup.
It works fine for one of our systems with no problems

Hi Comtech,

Please show me what the line looks like in the boot.ini of XP. I have the same problem:

- Win XP on the 1st HDD (master). This has 3 partitions C:, D:, E: all are NTFS.

- Win 98 on the 2nd HDD (slave). It has 4 partitions H:, I:, J: K:, all in FAT32. (F:, and G: are CD drives.)

Both HDDs have a lot of data, and I cannot reformat any of them. Please also send a copy of your reply to anh22hai@yahoo.fr.

Thanks a lot,

anh22

anh22 - I've posted a solution in your thread.

You can't just add a line to boot.ini to boot windows 98 - you also need to create a bootsect.dos file (copy of the win98 boot sector). tells you how to do this (but I much prefer boot-us - leaves the operating systems fully independent).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back