Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot Win2K & XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfincati

Technical User
Dec 15, 2000
US
I have Windows XP loaded and would like to add Win2K for dual booting purposes. When I try to install Win2K it tells me that it is older and the setup quits. Any suggestions how to overcome this?
Thanks
GF GF

It is best to install Windows 2000 first, but it can be done the other way around; simply boot from the Windows 2000 CD and install to a new partition, instead of trying to run setup from within Windows XP.

Should work, but the other way is better. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

This is the win98/95 forum, not the xp or win2k forum. Try posting in the right forum. If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Thanks for the advice - just as I suspected, it would have been better to load Win2K first. However, if I boot to the Win2K cd and load it to another partition, will the Win2K boot loader be smart enough to load the XP operating system or what will happen?

Thanks

gfincati@sasktel.net GF

I don't know how I ended up in the wrong forum - sorry! GF

When you reboot your system you will get a menu of which os system to boot.

For more info on booting systems in win 2000 go to start-help-and- dual booting in the search box, from the related topics it will tell you how to set either of the systems as the default os system at boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back