Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot Win XP and Win 98 separate HDDs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anh22

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
GB
Hi all,

My computer has:

- Win XP on the 1st HDD (master). This has 3 partitions C:, D:, E:, all are NTFS.

- Win 98 on the 2nd HDD (slave). It has 4 partitions H:, I:, J:, K:, all in FAT32. (F:, and G: are CD drives.)

Both HDDs have a lot of data, and I cannot reformat any of them. At present I can boot only Win XP. It can read and write to the 2nd HDD.

I want that I can boot from both OS, XP and 98, because I need to run many programs in my Win 98 HDD. It seems that there is a simple way, just to add a line in the boot.ini of XP. Can anybody help me? Please also send the reply to my address anh22hai@yahoo.fr.

Thanks a lot,

anh22

Get third party boot manager from (free for personal use) - install in XP, and use its GUI to set up boot menu (which you can store in mbr, on a floppy, or a spare partition).

Alternatively - when you want to boot 98, change boot sequence in the bios (to boot from second hard drive or D first). Change back for XP. Not elegant - but it works.

Hi wolluf,

Just to say thank you. I have not yet tried boot-us, but I succeeded booting win 98 from the 2nd HDD by simply changing BIOS. Your hint saves me a lot of work. I may prefer this to using the boot loader for example boot-us.

Thanks again,

anh22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back