Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual boot win 2000 server and unixware 7.1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

eicia

Programmer
Mar 4, 2003
CA
hi,
i'm having problem with dual boot.

I installed unixware 7.1.3 on the partition 1 and windows 2000 as on the partition 2. (using one hard disk(34G))
after i installed windows, i set the partition 1 as active.

after that i couldn't boot with windows 2000 at the [boot] prompt of unixware.

i typed 'b hd(0,1)' to boot with unixware and it works.
but when i type 'b hd(0,2)', it says 'missing operation system'. ( the reason i tested this is to set '/stand/boot'file but don't know how to set that file )

is this because unixware doesn't recognize windows file system ? then how can i dual boot windows and unixware ?

any help and suggestion would be appriciated..

First of all, have you tried
b hd(0,3) or b hd(0,4)

Second, if within Unixware you set the Windows partition to active can you you boot normally?

Third, and probably the more important, what is the size of each partition in cilinders?

I tried b hd(0,3) and b hd(0,4) and got 'No such partition'.
Only b hd(0,1) works(booting Unixware). and b hd(0,2) gets ' Missing operation system'
Am I missing something such as setting a configuration file within unixware for unixware to recognize partition 2(windows partition)?

and if I set windowns partision to active within Unixware, I can boot windows normally.

the partition size is the following.

Total disk size is 4427 cylinders (34726.4 MB)
Cylinders Approx
Partition Status Type Start End Length % MB
========= ====== =========== ===== === ====== === ======
1 Active UNIX System 0 2166 2167 49 16998.4
2 Other 2167 4425 2259 51 17720.1

Thank you for your help.. any other suggestion?

I think, and I may be wrong, that the problem is due to the fact that the Windows partition is above the 1024 cilinder limit (Bios limit, not Unixware). I am even surprised that you can boot to Windows at all.

I am going to have a look at the SCO TA's, but I think that the easiest solution (and it is how I have my machines setup as), is to create a small (4Gb partition) for Windows, then a bigger one for Unixware (17Gb), then another one for Windows with the remaining space.
I normally do this, and I install all programs into the D partition.
As an alternative you can "mount" the second partition into a "folder" in the C drive and overcome the problem of having two drives (this is only possible with W2000/XP). I have not used this last option, so I can not comment on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back