Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual boot w2k/win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcbs55

Technical User
Apr 27, 2003
US
i wish to create a dual boot. i have created 2 partitions, one for each os. will this work?
can "c:\" contain win98 and "d:\" contain w2k?
can i format d: to ntfs for w2k? (while c: is fat32)
any other important info available, please post.
thanks to all!!

bcbs55,

The short answer is "yes". That's exactly how one of my PC's is setup.

Install WIN98 first into the C: drive. Then boot from the WIN2K CD and install into the D: partition. WIN2K will pick up the WIN98 installation and built an entry in boot.ini

Be warned that "some" software will try to install to C: from WIN2K, just change the drive to D:

Good luck,

Ian

thats it in a nut shell. also you can goto controll panel,system,advanced. at the top you will see "defualt op system" and a check box to inable you some time to select between the avalible os's. if you uncheck this the defualt will be loaded instantly.

this link will tell you all you need to know

note that if you set D: to be NTFS, you will not be able to see it from windows98 without an external utility

this is either viewed as a blessing because it protects your win2K files from errant win98 programs, or as an annoyance because you can't get at any files you may have saved to D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back