Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual boot system not posting consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.

glw6160

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
US
I have a dual boot system with win98se on one half of my hard drive and win2k on the other. It all sits on an AMD 1.2 Ghz mb/processor, 266 front side bus, 256 mb DDRam. I have an ATI Radeon 32mb video card, built in sound, Realtek netcard, dialup modem, cdrw and cdrom, 3 1/2" floppy. I do alot of rebooting because, for some reason, I can't get my Tiger Woods golf game to play on the win2k partition. Latley my system has been giving me fits trying to reboot. It usually takes about a half hour and numerous attempts before I can get back into windows. When it fails to boot, it will either not POST, or sit there for a couple of minutes, POST and try to boot, but it only shows the 1st boot screen for a couple of seconds and then goes to a blank screen with a blinking cusrsor in the upper left corner. I keep my system dust free and cool, cpu runs about 137 Fh, have tried re-seating RAM and video cards, just about to drive me crazy! Any ideas anyone?

hmmm, do you remember how did u install win2k and win98? is it 2 harddrives or 1 harddrive, it's pretty hard to get win2k and win98 into 1 harddrive(i wouldn't do that).

by the way, cpu 137F is pretty high-end, if u r talking about cpu surface(not on-die) temperatue.
ff

if the problem is occuring within or before post the problem will be hardware or CMOS. if it always makes it through post it'll be a shaky MBR or partition/HDD issue. Try resetting the CMOS. Check that your cards and cords are all seated (or reseat them). Check power.

Still having the same problem.In response to your question Kicket, one hard drive, Partitioned drive in half,loaded win98se on the FAT32 partition, loaded win2k on the other half. Now Iam getting cmos checksum errors, and when I try to run certain apps, the screen goes blank, with the annoying little blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I am leaning towards this being a video card issue, but would like some confirmation before I go shell out the bucks for a new card. Any more ideas anyone?

have you tried to reinstall both operating systems yet?
i would reinstall before buying anything. Check the basics first.

check the battery on the motherboard. checksum errors on post is an indicator that the battery is bad????
if the Videocard is a GeForce 2 there are issues with AMD and the VIA chipset and that card.
check your power supply

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back