Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DUAL BOOT PROBLEMS! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2002
GB
Hi all

I'm having a problem dual booting with 2000 and XP. Here's how it goes. I originally dual booted NT4 and 2000 on my hard disc. I then upgraded the 2000 partition to XP. The NT4 partition was the active partition. Using partion magic i stupidly deleted the NT4 partition without making the XP patition the active one, so when booting i got no operating system found. So what i did was install 2000 on the old NT4 partiton, because i thought i would then be able to dual boot between 2000 and XP which would actually be quite usefull to me. When i completed installing 2000 i thought that it would give me the option to dual boot, but it obviously hasn't hence my problem.

I tried to edit the boot.ini file on the 2000 partition as it's the default operating system, but wasn't succesful although i could be doing it wrong. Does anyone know how to solve this problem as i don't want to have to install XP over 2000 and copy all the files over and then install 2000 again. It would also be interesting to know how to solve this if i come across this problem again.

Thanks

kent1

To dual boot XP and 2000 you should install 2000 first and XP last. It should give you the option to dual boot.

Could you post a copy of you boot.ini that you changed? ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

As mithrilhall says, should be 2000 first. But the reason it won't work is just the version of the files ntldr & ntdetect.com. These are in root of your 2000 partition & need to be the XP versions rather than 2000 versions to enable XP to boot (2000 can boot with XP ones, but not vice versa). The files should be on winxp install CD (will probably need expanding). There's a fixboot utility in XP recovery console, but don't know if that replaces these files. The boot.ini file just has to identify the correct partitions - should look something like (2000 on 1st partition, XP on second, 2000 default):-

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Sounds good to me too! so i think that it's worthy of another star although i haven't tried it i'm sure it will work as the last time wolluf helped me it worked great!

Cheers wolluf, you're a star:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back