Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaber

Technical User
Nov 3, 2000
FR
I want to have a dual boot :
1 - Nt Workstation with Lan connection
2 - Nt Workstation without Lan connection

How can i have this dual boot

Thanks for your help.

Easiest way is pick the other option in the Domain box. Most likely the default is your domain if you click that box you will see something else too, like the name of the PC.
If you click that and then log in you won't be on the network.

You CANNOT setup NT without a login box like '95 '98 or even the New 2000 Pro it can be turned off.

DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

if you really want to dual boot, just re-run setup from the install disks. I would recommend placing the 2 installations on seperate partitions, but it is not necessary. If they are on the same partition, place them in different folders(i.e. - WINNT and WINNT1) Then on the second install, do not load any network drivers.

If you are just looking to disable the network connection in the second OS, have you tried Hardware Profiles? These are setup under System Properties, and configured under Control Panel, Devices. On boot, the NT Loader will come up, then the HardWare Profiler will come up asking for a profile. Saves major time and space for a second OS while acomplishing what is needed.

NT can be set up to automatically log in like 2000, just in a different process.
-regedit, HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/Winlogon
-add/edit following keys
"AutoAdminLogon" - Value of "1"
"DefaultUserName" - Value of "username"
"Password" - Value of "password"
This will allow you to login without typing in a password every time.
I am going off of memory here, so the exact registry keys may be off a little, but I'm pretty sure they are right.
As with any registry hack, backup, backup, backup.

If you see what you need above, but want more detail, post back, and we will help ya out.

Good Luck!
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

You can also create 2 hardware profiles. On the properties for one, check to disable the network. At logon, you will be prompterd to log in, and after logging in you will get an "error" about the network being unreachable and that you were logeed in with cached account information. After that everything will function normally.
Jeff
masterracker@hotmail.com

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back