Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot between NT4 and WIN2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybermal

Technical User
Mar 14, 2004
GB
Hi all

I installed NT4 on one partition.

Do i need to install the latest service pack to this before installing Windows 2000 if i want the computer to dual boot?

Thanks

Mally

The "gotcha" with NT is that it does not support FAT32 partiitions, does not support Win2k versions of NTFS until Service Pack 4, and even in this instance there are reservations:
When you install Windows 2000, any mounted NTFS volumes are automatically converted to the version of NTFS included with Windows 2000. If you plan to dual-boot Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 for evaluation purposes, you must first install Service Pack 4 or later on Windows NT 4.0.

This NTFS update enables Windows NT 4.0 to mount, read from, and write to NTFS volumes created in Windows 2000. However, the new features in the version of NTFS included with Windows 2000 are disabled when you boot Windows NT 4.0. Dual-booting between Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 is not recommended as a long-term solution. The NTFS update for Windows NT 4.0 is provided only to assist you in evaluating and upgrading to Windows 2000.
Source:

It is strongly recommended that:

. You upgrade to SP4 or higher prior to installing Win2k; SP3 for example likely will not install at all otherwise.

. You keep both partitions FAT (and not FAT32).

Thanks for you help. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back